Old 05-11-12, 08:08 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
You need an app that will save maps. MotionX is the one I use.
Just bought the app for MotionX and it is very cool. Looks like I can rely on the Ipad for what I need on the trip. Thank you for the guidance.

Originally Posted by Niles H.
There is a good, reliable smart phone/'Blackberry clone' that you can buy through various outlets for a quite reasonable price. I've used it extensively, and am happy with it (once I had downloaded Opera Mini, which allows the heavy lifting/processing to by done by Opera servers). For fifty dollars a month (no contract; it's month to month, and you can skip or stop or mix and match at will) through Net10, you can have unlimited calls, text, and web (for 25/mo, 750 minutes of same). They use the ATT network, and I've been pleased with the reception. Verizon may have better reception in some areas (I actually get better-than-Verizon reception in my areas of most use), but you'll pay for it.

The phone is the LG900G, and the best deal I've seen is the package deal (includes micro SD card, earphones, and car charger as I recall) through walmart.com.

A higher-end smart phone may be a better fit for less frugal gadgeteers, though.
Something like this may work for the trip overall as well. I'm going to bring the Ipad on a little trip tomorrow and see how it works first.