Old 05-12-12, 03:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
For navigation, I use an old Garmin Legend handlebar mounted GPS that uses AA batteries. I load topo maps into if from my netbook. I use rechargeable batteries in the GPS. Plus I also carry paper maps and compass. I have not carried a GPS that has built in info on grocery store locations, motels, restaurants, etc., but my Garmin Nuvi has that capability. The Nuvi however has shorter battery life and the batteries can't be changed, so I would not use that on the handlebar, even if it was waterproof. I concluded after my last tour that I wished I had the Nuvi along for grocery store hunting, but I would still use the GPS with replaceable batteries for handlebar navigation. Future self supported tours, I will bring the Nuvi along for looking for stores, or other retail stuff but will use the other GPS for handlebar navigation since the Nuvi power supply is more limited. The Nuvi will also serve where the roads are newer than the roads shown on the topo map.

I do not have an ipad, but I have a netbook with a extra big battery that is good for about six hours of use. I have brought it on tour and I would carry it again. It was great for planning on the internet, etc. Wi fi access at many restaurants and motels. I also have Google Talk installed on it, thus where I have wi fi I can make phone calls with it although that works best with a earphone with built in mic. But, since my netbook is normally off, I can't reliably receive phone calls, but Google Voice has voicemail. I do not know if you can put Google talk or Google voice on an ipad.

My cell phone plan has terrible coverage, on the tour I am doing this summer my cell will not work at all because I will be hundreds of miles from their nearest cell tower. But I pay $60 for a year for minimal voice use, so you pay for what you get. Since I can make calls where I have wi fi, I have not seen a need to upgrade my phone. As long as my touring partner had an expensive phone plan for emergency calls, that was good enough.

I expect that within a few years I will probably break down and buy a smartphone with data plan, but don't see a need to do that yet.