Thread: racing at 50+??
View Single Post
Old 07-31-05, 12:04 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berts
My definition of competition -
A contest between rivals where the winner usually stands to gain something.

Thus by definition serious competitors are trying to prove something, ie, that they are better than their fellow competitors and to earn recognition of their prowess.

I never considered myself to be very competitive, but being a relatively strong cyclist always found myself in competitve events - just for the ride and a great way to improve my riding skills.

Your right skydive, it's got nothing to do with age, it's in the blood.

thanks for your well wishes and good luck to you in future events. Our season is winding down with only 2 more events this season. I'm looking forward to improving my performance next year.
Competition seems to be an inherent trait in man. We have found every conceivable way and means to compete against one another. In that it is illegal in most civilizations to bat someone over the head and take their woman and possessions, we must find other outlets for our natural tendencies (aggression). Those that do not have those tendencies would undoubtedly have been at the losing end of the aforementioned skirmishes, and through natural selection would not have had a promising future. In that natural selection did work to a large extent, many of us apparently find the outlet of competition our current means to manifest our aggressions. Others simply make war, chase false idols and blow themselves up. Of course some have survived due to a strong intellect - a seemingly rare commodity.

Yes, it is assuredly in the blood my good man. Tear them up in your remaining events. I have 12 competitions scheduled in late October through the first week of December, and I have no intention of losing! I love those endorphins!!