View Single Post
Old 05-13-12, 03:44 PM
kpmnd85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've been trying different intercom systems: the new Cardo BK-1 Duo at $480, the Tandem-Com at $158 and the GSI Super Quality Waterproof, Rider to Rider/Passenger 2 Way Radio at $33.

A little background. We like to listen to music or the radio as background when my wife and I ride. We often end up chatting about whatever we are listening to. We have a battery operated speaker we can plug an ipod or radio into which is mounted on the stokers handlebar. So the intercom system we are looking for is one that would allow an MP3 or radio to plug into and play while allowing us to talk at the same time.

The Cardo BK-1
The BK-1 is a bluetooth based wireless system. No wires! You can pair your bluetooth enabled phone which allows you to play music and receive calls.
What we liked:
  • Very high quality in terms of build
  • Install into the bike helmets is excellent
  • System worked well in the wind
  • This is a well engineered system which promises to have software definable features that the user can set on a computer via USB
What we did not like:
  • The price
  • The intercom engagement - the intercom is not always on - it turns on by speaking or pushing a button. It always takes a second or two to engage so you can’t just start talking or your partner won’t hear the first part of your sentence. This is annoying. Sometime you nearly have to yell to get the intercom to turn on.
  • Radio / Music turns totally muted instead of faded into the background when the intercom turns on
  • Unfortunately both riders can not listen to the same source of music / radio at the same time
  • The intercom stays on for 30 seconds after the final word is detected. This is not software programmable (yet). 5 seconds would have been much better.

Tandem-Com
This is a wired system which allows you to plug in an audio source via a wire. It has a headset with one earphone and microphone attached to a formed wire which is intended to fit around your head.
What we liked:
  • The intercom is always on
  • The music source plays in the background
  • There is one music source for both riders
What we did not like:
  • the price of $158 compared to the GSI system’s $33. Because the GSI is stereo, you would think the Tandem-com would cost less.
  • the headsets are very uncomfortable
  • the system is mono not stereo
  • Audio quality – this is not a highly engineered system. It’s a couple of reostat switches and a couple of ampifiers. The box itself is probably manufactured for $5.
  • we did not test this system on a ride as we found the headsets to be to uncomfortable / awkward
  • Shipping and handling is $18. It cost me $3 from USPS to send it back.
  • There is a 15% restocking fee if you return it.

GSI Super Quality Waterproof, Rider to Rider/Passenger 2 Way Radio:
This is a wired intercom system. The electronic box for this system looks almost identical to that of the Tandem-com box. The system differs in three important ways: 1) it is stereo, not mono 2) the earpieces and mic are intended to be attached to a motorcycle helmet via velcro and 3) the price - at $33 from Amazon it is a bargain
What we like:
* The price
* The intercom is always on
* The music source plays in the background
* There is one music source for both riders
* The system is stereo - two earpieces
What could be improved:
  • you have to figure out your own method for attaching the earphones and mic to the helmet. It took me about an hour using a couple of coat hangers and some zip ties.
  • The wires – The intercom box is mounted under the captain’s seat to the stoker’s handlebar. I’ve bought and strung a headphone wire extension from the intercom box at the stoker’s handle bar back along the top tube to the stoker’s seat. We’ll play around with this to find the best location. But every time you hop on or off the bike you have to plug into the system.
  • Wind noise – with no noise cancellation, you start to hear wind noise at 30 MPH but it is tolerable and better than without the system. The well engineered, 15x the price BK-1 system was better here.

The winner (for the time being)
At this point the GSI system is the winner. It beats the Tandem-com on features (stereo vs. mono, reasonably comfortable earpieces) and is about 5x cheaper. I’m hoping the price of the BK-1 Duo comes down considerably. For our use, the BK-1 Duo system also needs a couple of changes 1)Let both riders listen to the same source of audio background and 2) ideally keep the intercom on at all times with the audio source playing in the background.