View Single Post
Old 05-13-12, 07:52 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
After using a rack-top bag at PBP in 2007 I gave up on racks and rear bags. The total combined weight of the two along with the position of the load made them unacceptable to me after having used them for a number of longer rides. I now use a handlebar bag and a larger seat bag. Much better weight distribution and easier access to your gear. For longer brevets you often have access to a drop bag so you can get away with carrying less. If you are touring that may be a different story but for most brevets or grand randonnee's you wont need more storage if you are efficient!
Thank you for your input!

To be honest this was my first thought as well. I was mostly entertaining the rack+bag idea because I didn't have a suitable seat bag and didn't want to spend money until I was sure which way I wanted to go. In the mean time, I've decided that I just can't deal with the handlebar bag - on my bike it affects the handling too much.

I suspect the real answer to my dilemma is a new bike. I see a Boulder Brevet in my future...or maybe an All Road.