Old 05-13-12, 09:33 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Update on Carbonio, Test Asssembly:

Here's a "dry run" with the component group I think I'll use on the bike. The BB just came in at the end of the week together with the new decals from UK, so I have all the stuff to build her up except for the brake cables which need to have a different end than what I have already. Bars and brake levers were left off for this test assembly.

Here's the component list so far.

Derailleurs: Mavic SSC 851 group RD and matching FD. I would have gone with Mavic's later indexed Mavic RDs, but just can't swing the cost to find and buy those. I can always change the derailleurs later, but they did still use the 851s on many bikes in 1986 when the bike was made.
Shifters: Mavic/Simplex Retrofriction.
Chain: Sedis/Sachs MC90 narrow with black and silver links.
Crankset: Edco Competition 170mm x 144BCD, 52 x 42 tooth rings.
Freewheel: Regina CX, 7 speed.
Bottom Bracket: Edco Competition 116mm, sealed bearings with double adjustable aluminum cups.
Seatpost: 25mm dia. Shimano 600 Aero (Came with frame).
Saddle: Selle San Marco Concor Supercorsa.
Brakes: Weinmann Delta with Aero levers.
Headset: Miche Primato with needle bearings. I thought of using my Stronglight Deltas, but the steerer tube is a bit short for the Deta's stack height.
Pedals: Look Keo Classic.
Waterbottle cage: Blackburn aluminum race cage.
Stem: Early 90's (can't remember what model) Italmanubri with clamshell type clamp (for 25.4mm diameter bar?, that was a suprise for me!?), Silver and black anodized.
Handlebar: Italmanubri model Europa Super Racing, black anodized, previously from my PSV, bought back in the 80's. (25.4mm dia, see stem).
Wheels: Custom tubular wheelsset built by Kevin King(?) 1987 with Hoshi bladed spokes in radial pattern up front and 2x at drive side and radial on non-drive side at rear, Capmgnolo Record hubs and unknown 32H semi aero profile rims.
Tires: Schwalbe Milano tubs.

Note that I also included pics of the bike with my Stronglight Delta crankset with carbon wrapped big ring mounted as a possible alternative over the Edco Competition cranks. The Edco Competition crank have spider and arm shapes that seems to nicely match the soft contours and shapes of the aluminum lugs on the frame, but then the carbon wrapped big ring on the Stronglight crank seems to look nice on the bike too. What do you guys think is better on the bike?? I'm also not 100% sold on the Weinmann Delta brakes yet, Still wondering if my Mavic 440 SSC sidepulls will work better fundtionally and aesthetically enough to become the final choice, but Dang!, the old sintered pads on the Mavic are rock hard and pretty worn, so it can hold up the project if I pick it, as I'll have to find acceptable replacements The stock pads are close to unobtanium these days, maybe for good reasons. Some of the threads in the aluminum seat binder bolt are already galled, It will work for now, but I'll have to replace the binder bolt soon.

Well, just one more cleaning session for the frame, then the decals go on before the other parts get lubricated and mounted permanently on the frame to finish the build.....maybe in a week??

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 05-14-12 at 11:25 AM.