Thread: Clipping in?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-12, 08:16 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Clipping in?

I figured I'd ask this in the Clydes area rather than Road Cycling because I'll get more useful responses in here.

Since I started riding I've ridden in regular training shoes (I think they are what you call sneakers in the US) on flat pedals. The other day I rode a 150k brevet and noticed I was the only one who wasn't unclipping when we stopped. So I got to wondering whether having something like SPD pedals will actually make much of a difference.

I'd want to keep the freedom to ride in regular shoes if I needed to but if SPD pedals will make as much difference as padded shorts made (something else I was a little skeptical about until I tried them) then it's worth looking at further.

If I do go down the clipping in route I guess all I need to buy is the pedals and cycling shoes that will take cleats? Is there anything else I'd need that I'm overlooking?