Old 05-15-12, 11:49 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
I figured I'd ask this in the Clydes area rather than Road Cycling because I'll get more useful responses in here.

Since I started riding I've ridden in regular training shoes (I think they are what you call sneakers in the US) on flat pedals. The other day I rode a 150k brevet and noticed I was the only one who wasn't unclipping when we stopped. So I got to wondering whether having something like SPD pedals will actually make much of a difference.

I'd want to keep the freedom to ride in regular shoes if I needed to but if SPD pedals will make as much difference as padded shorts made (something else I was a little skeptical about until I tried them) then it's worth looking at further.

If I do go down the clipping in route I guess all I need to buy is the pedals and cycling shoes that will take cleats? Is there anything else I'd need that I'm overlooking?
Clipless make a small difference but on balance these pedals are not worth the risk of bad falls that whose who use them face. A great pedal for the street is the "power grip" line since they DO NOT lock your foot to the pedal which on the street is bad news no matter what the fans of clipless say.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-Hi...7103813&sr=8-2

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?