Old 05-17-12, 12:06 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Do the tarp tents have mosquito netting? That is a must, IMHO. Too many bugs in the Eastern US to go without.

I have looked at solo tents in person and none of them would have enough room for me. I like to keep my gear inside the tent and have a little room to spread out. Two-man tents are ideal for my purposes and not that much heavier. I also like free-standing tents as they are much easier to pitch as well as excellent ventilation. Living in the SE, ventilation is a huge issue. I doubt if I would be bike touring in winter, so I don't need a mountaineering tent designed for low temperatures.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur 2UL is just about ideal among the tents I have looked at so far. It is a little roomier with more vertical walls and double entry compared to the BA Fly Creek, but I'm not sure it's worth paying $50 more for it. Too bad REI doesn't have them on sale, altho I could get it for 20% off with member sale this weekend.
All tarp tents (at least as a brand, maybe not as a generic) have an interior that is free of bugs. Some of them have a classic double wall design, and others have a single wall design, but either way, bugs stay out.

And free-standing doesn't always mean easy set-up. Look at the Tarptent Moment, it doesn't get easier than that.