View Single Post
Old 05-17-12, 08:57 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by csmith2287
Anyone look at Hennesy Hammocks? I have never used one, but from what I have heard, they are very fast to set up and extremely comfortable. You can cut down on weight with no sleeping pad too. I've been thinking of getting one myself. Can anyone vouch for them?
I have a Hennessy hammock. It's not that light frankly and you need insulation under you [ideally on the outside of the hammock for cool weather as you get cold from top and bottom in a hammock. The comfort factor is personal. Some love them. Some hate them. I'm in the middle. I'd prefer to sleep on the ground, but sometimes I take the hammock either because I suspect it will be a better option than a tent or simply to mix things up.

If you are two people you will save weight with a ultralight tent over two Hennessy's, but you have to share a space. That can be good or bad depending on who your touring partner is....

Overall it's a worthwhile product to look into if it intrigues you.

If you offered me a free Hennessy or a free 1 man ultralight tent - I'd take the tent every time.