Old 05-18-12, 12:30 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by csmith2287
Anyone look at Hennesy Hammocks? I have never used one, but from what I have heard, they are very fast to set up and extremely comfortable. You can cut down on weight with no sleeping pad too. I've been thinking of getting one myself. Can anyone vouch for them?
I have a Hennessy. For me, it's not about weight, but comfort. Yes, you need a place to hang it. So far I've been lucky. And like Vik says, add a second person and you add a second hammock, doubling your weight, which is different from a traditional tent which can be shared. And if the temps dip too low overnight (for me, into the 50s) you'll want/need some kind of insulation under you. But then I got the hammock because short of a full air mattress (not for bike camping), I was never comfortable on the ground with any pad I tried. So with a hammock I trade the pad for some under insulation. I don't know how that works out weight-wise, but it seems a decent trade off for me.

Also, Hennessy is just one manufacturer of hammock tents. If the weight seems high, you might see if another manufacturer has one that suits you better. And there are some things that can be done to shave some weight off of a hammock, too, like swapping out the stock ropes for something lighter.

I'll take the opposing side to Vik and say that if you offered me hammock tent and a traditional tent, I'd take the hammock every time. And if you offered me a choice between two ground tents, I might just stay home. It's definitely a personal thing, but not having to sleep on the ground is what made bike camping appealing to me again.