View Single Post
Old 05-20-12, 09:21 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not opposed to buying used on Craigslist, you can save yourself a bunch of money. I picked up a 2012 Trek FX 7.5 that fits me perfectly for under $400. (yes, I searched a few stolen bike registries prior to purchase).

The newer models have a compact double - which may be one of the reasons for the wider range of gears on the included cassette. It's easy enough to replace it, though, if you have a chain whip and a lockring tool.

I use this bike as my commuter and 'weekend warrior'. I replaced the crankset with a triple because there are steep hills around here (some spots reaching 20%+ grade), and I need the small chainring to keep from overworking my bad left knee. Overall, it's been a great, comfortable bike. A friend of mine has the same bike, just a couple years older, and he loves it too.

I did, however have to immediately get rid of the stock saddle (Bontrager). I went for one 20 mile ride on it, and knew it wasn't going to work for me.

I ride it primarily on roads and paved paths, but have occasionally ridden it on dirt / packed gravel, and while being a very uncomfortable experience, the bike did just fine - despite having to carry it's 270lb rider.