SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Why not try something different like a cross bike or a touring bike? You could check out the Trek 520 (which is over your price range) or the Jamis Aurora (which is within your budget). That way you can have reasonably fat tires and drop bars. The Salsa Casseroll might also work for you.
+1 ^ This is great advice!...I'll personally vouch for both the Aurora!

.........I've only heard good things about the Casseroll!

Originally Posted by a1penguin
The Cannondale Quick series is popular. The Quick 3 is in your price range. Specialized Sirrus also has a couple of models in your price range. I don't like the gearing on them. The Trek FX has an 11-34 cassette on it and I HATE IT! The gear spacing is too large. I much prefer the 11-28 cassette on my road bike. The Fuji Absolute looks like a real winner because it's geared like a road bike and uses road derailleurs and has 28mm tires. I would not go any wider than 32 tires.
The Giant Rapid 2 should be in your price range. That bike is also a flat bar road bike. The Jamis Coda line are steel hybrids. They are popular here, but suffer from the 11-32 cassette from hell.
Are you sure you don't want to consider a drop bar bike? A hybrid isn't going to feel much different than the Navigator, which looks like a comfort bike.
Go out and try some bikes and see which ones appeal to you.
Apparently A1penguin has issues with the cassettes on both the Trek 7.5FX and the Jamis Codas. However, since I happen to own a 7.5FX and have had extensive experience with the entire Coda line-up, I can personally attest to the fact that I fail to observe any cassette problems. Also, the Codas are universally renown for their smooth and agile handling characteristics.

I find this somewhat disconcerting, as I usually agree with A1penguin's opinions.

Originally Posted by bikemig
There are a number of advantages to drop bars. They provide a number of hand positions which make them more comfortable on longer rides. You can sit up and ride on the flats (much like you do currently on a hybrid), you can ride on the brake levers which, if the bike is set up right, is very comfortable and gives you a lot of control, and you can ride in the drops if you need to get aero. Drops make for more efficient bike riding since you are more aerodynamic and this is a really big deal esp. on any sort of a longer ride. You have a bike with flat bars for tooling around town with; get a bike for drops for your longer rides. You'll be happy that you did.
+1 ^ I agree 100% with this assessment! For more comfortable distance riding, you really do want drop handlebars.

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-21-12 at 02:12 PM.