View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 03:48 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Preparing for those bigger rides.

Not something I do for every ride but have a longer organised ride coming up and last time I checked the bike was yonks ago so it needed doing

I have a ride on Saturday night--Yes Night. Starts at Midnight and London to Brighton. Only a 60 miler and should not be a problem But today it was time to check the bike over. First of all a wash but before that clean the chain and de-gunge the derailleurs. I do have the Park chain checking tool and wear is just within tolerance so leave alone.Spread the greasy stuff all over the bike before it gets washed. I use an industrial cleaner and today it was needed. The bike has not been properly cleaned for a month or so as I have been too busy riding and it was filthy.

While the wheels were in the bike I washed the tyres for later. Then it was into the bike stand and get the cleaner around the brakes- which is something I normally forget. As we have a drought over here- I used a garden sprayer with plenty of water to wash as much dirt off the frame and in the nooks and crannies as possible and it was time to leave to dry a bit. The wheels and as I had clean tyres- Time to inspect the rubber for bits of glass- thorns and flints. Couple of flints to prise out and that was done. Cassette next and a cloth between the Rings to get them clean and they were filthy. Then spokes and rims were cleaned and checked at the same time. No cracks or bent spokes and the cassette does not appear to be worn.

Back to the frame and wipe down with a rag and clean all the muck off the frame. I now know why white bikes are a No-No as I had to wash my hands to get rid of the dirt and oil on them as every time I touched the frame- I was making it dirty. Finally got the frame clean and time for the cables. Release them and WD down the outers. Surprising how much gunge came out of them but they do operate just a bit smoother now, Check the cables for frays and none were there. Dry chain lube on the brake and Brifter pivots and almost done. C.F.Frame and the best polish is Pledge. I say best but that is the one the wife uses and it is cheaper if she buys it.

Ready for the wheels to go back in and the next stage of adjusting. Rear changes were not crisp last time out so slight adjustment and the clean cables and it is perfect now. Then it was out with the wheels to clean the frame again from where My greasy hands had made it dirty again.

So several things done. I can turn up on Saturday with a bike that looks respectable. In cleaning it I have looked for any broken or damaged parts that could fail and ruin the ride and I have confidence that the bike will not let me down. All I have to do now is a check ride and I should get that in tomorrow. Never know- I may have adjusted the derailleurs wrongly or all that cleaning may have taken away the tolerance on the chain. Bet you that I will be finding the only wet route in the area- but if I do- It can stay dirty other than a wipe down.

Spike Milligan