View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 06:32 PM
Bunnicula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erg79
Well, a hybrid flat bar bike, while zippier, wouldn't be all that different from your Navigator. A drop bar bike would give you a different position, a different kind of ride, etc. I and I think others suggested it for more variety's sake.
Well I disagree. It all depends on the flat bar road bike. I started on a Trek Navigator just like you, Zenmaster. I soon decided to get a faster bike for pavement, and as I still wasn't comfortable with the aggressive road bike position I looked at hybrids that were more road-like in their characteristics. I chose a Cannondale Quick 3 which is wayyy more nimble and much faster than the Navigator. In fact, when I later decided to try road bikes I wasn't finding the aluminum framed bikes much, if any, faster. It absorbs quite a bit of road vibration as well.

Then I tried a carbon fiber frame road bike. And bought one. But I still love my Cannondale Quick 3, which retails for well under $1000.
If you decide to try some aluminum road bikes, give the Specialized Allez a try, as well as the Cannondale Synapse.