View Single Post
Old 05-22-12, 05:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
It's not that light frankly and you need insulation under you [ideally on the outside of the hammock for cool weather as you get cold from top and bottom in a hammock
+1
I think people often don't realize that. Buying a hammock to save weight or to avoid carrying a pad are both mistakes. It is also not typically a way to save cost.

There are two good reasons someone might want to hammock camp.
1. If you camp somewhere that acceptably smooth ground is not to be found or if there will be standing water everywhere it could have a big advantage in that regard. The thing is that I have toured a good bit and that has just not typically been an issue. I have backpacked in places and conditions where it would have been a big advantage though.
2. If you find it substantially more comfortable that would be a good reason. Since I find my NeoAir pad supremely comfortable and a hammock somewhat less so that wouldn't be a good reason for me.

If you want or need one because of one or both of those two reasons then use one if you think you will be able to find trees or other places to hang it where you tour. If you are going with a hammock to save money or weight think again. I think that for most folks for touring a tent and a good sleeping pad is a better choice.