View Single Post
Old 05-23-12, 08:45 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have issues with blood sugar levels, so I try to stay low carb as well. However, I'm skeptical about the body's ability to convert fat into energy quickly enough when you're on a long ride. I became more convinced of this after reading The Paleo Diet for Athletes. I still use electrolyte tablets that contain no carbs, but on a long ride (2 hours or more) I'll consume a fruit and nut bar. At the end of the ride, I'll make myself a protein shake with frozen fruit. With those exceptions, I pretty much adhere to a low carb regimen.

The problem is, that on a long ride, your body is consuming carbs very quickly, and once the glycogen is out of your muscles, you either have to provide a quick replenishment, or you'll bonk. Frankly, if you're cycling 60 to 100 miles and have 50 extra grams of carbs during and immediately after that ride, I don't think it will hurt you.

As for statins, I took them for 15 years. When I got more involved with cycling, i.e. riding more than 100 miles per week, the cramping was unbelievable. I would cramp up at night, and in the worst places, e.g., the instep of my foot, my ankles, etc. I did some research and became convinced that if I watched my diet and kept exercising, I would be better off without the statins. I dropped them totally, and 80% of the cramping disappeared within 2 weeks.

Statins are a multi-billion dollar business, and the manufacturers spend a LOT of money convincing everyone that you can't live without them. Of course, not much is said about the possibility of permanent liver damage and, some studies show, serious muscle damage. I encourage you to read more about statins before you accept that you have to take them forever. This article is a good start. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't mean we all don't have a right to learn more about the drugs we're taking, particularly ones that we take daily.

Last edited by Chaco; 05-23-12 at 08:49 AM.