View Single Post
Old 05-23-12, 11:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I have put my 1971 Raleigh Super Course out to the fallow field (my garage) and have adopted my Rudge and Bianchi as daily riders. Generally, I've found that upright handlebars are better for short trips and heavy traffic, but there's something about the fit of the Bianchi that makes me very comfortable, even with its drop handlebars. It also encourages hard pedaling if I'm in the mood. I think I might have stumbled upon a very nice fit with respect to handlebars, saddle, and pedals. I should measure it and try to duplicate it on other bikes. Perhaps I'll have someone photo and video me on the bike to help me analyze what's so right about it.

This is an early 90's (I think) Bianchi Volpe, with a 3x7 drivetrain. It weighs about 28 pounds (13 kg) but feels lighter, and the wheels aren't even amazingly light. Can you tell I adore this bike? But wait; it gets better. I got it on craigslist for a mere $140. I changed the pedals and the rear tire. That's it! The only thing I might want to fix one day is the wide spacing of the gears. Maybe I'll upgrade to a narrower cassette with 8 or 9 speeds. This will require a change of shifter and maybe rear derailleur. If I go through those expenses, total cost for the bike will still be very low.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.