View Single Post
Old 05-24-12, 09:45 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
In 4k miles I broke six spokes and had 6 flats. Touring speed is typically 10-12 mph. I packed tools loaded for anything then in Winnipeg, shipped most tools, fenders, excess gear home. I used a bike cape for rain and that was fabulous. Probably take a rain jacket now as more dual purpose. Took one pair of jeans, light sweater, 60/40 cloth jacket as we spent weeks in freezing cold Canadian Rockies in June. Bug juice! Loaded bike and I weighed 215-220 (I was a lean 154, bike was 24, all my gear, rack, panniers, front handle bar bag (very helpful) was ~40. Hot nights are a pain. Handiest tool was a credit card. Have a health examine before you go. Early morning riding is best and allows for afternoon easier pace. Had three wrecks, two self inflicted and one we were literally run off road. No serious injuries. Severe bike damage (broken frame) and one potato chipped wheel means be familiar with road repairs as often you will be miles from anything. Expect road stress to affect riding partner(s) and you. Learn to deal with it.

One of my greatest life experiences.