View Single Post
Old 05-25-12, 07:48 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
What I am surprised by is the large number of thin-skinned cyclists on this forum who react defensively if someone like GP even suggests that they don't have to wear bike specific clothing to ride to work, and who suggests that you might try something different.
I agree. People seem to be trying to read more into his words than he has intended, and are become oddly defensive.

I can't damn the guy for having perceptions that vary from those of the majority of American recreational cyclists. Especially since his views correspond so closely with so much of the rest of the world. The US does have a very large land area, often requiring longer cycling distances than European destinations, creating some need for cycling specific clothing, but many Americans could still easily get away without looking like they belong in some kind of fundo.

And yes, I do wear cycling shorts on my commute, but I consider my 30-mile round trip commute to be the exception, not the norm. I sure don't bother wearing them on a 5-mile trip to the market, or even a leisurely 10-mile ride on the MUP with my wife and daughter.

As for knickers, I wear them very often, both on and off the bicycle. For non-cycling shorts, I love Unionbay Panama Cargo Messenger Shorts. Good quality, comfortable, and pretty cheap too. $25.00 a pair at Kohls.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...ger+Shorts.jsp