Old 08-01-05, 10:30 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Definatly Eddie Merkx. He won every Sping Classic at least once, the Tour de France 5 times, Giro d'Itlia 5 times, the Vuleta a Espana twice, and two World Championships. Last year he raced the cycling leg of a triathlon in Isreal, and did very well. He still trains with his son's team, Lotto-Diavitimen, and runs a high bike factory.

As for your American King, Chris Horner? Lance Armstrong? Greg Lemond? Davis Phinny? Andy Hampsten? Major Taylor?
Eddy is good, even he would have had trouble winning the Vuelta twice, since he only rode it once. When it comes to Worlds he has 3 or 4 depending how you want to count. 3 Pro and one amature.

Oh and just to add a couple of other bits. One year he lead the Giro from start to finish, something only done one other time since WW II. One time in the tour of Switzerland he lead from start to finish and took all 3 jerseys.

I see a couple of people have suggested Coppi. Might I ask why? I know a couple of points in his favor. One year he took every major prize there was in both the Tour and Giro, a feat never matched. Also he was Eddys idol as a young man. But I'm sure there are more reasons and I would like to learn more of them.