Old 05-30-12, 07:50 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
there is a nutrition forum. however, I see plenty of talk about nutrition elsewhere, especially the racing subforums. I'm not trying to be a punk but merely suggesting that some ideas might be found in outside of the 41.

anyway,
my wife and I started taking a multivitamin daily about 2 years ago. about six months ago we added fish oil. (the burps suck, but I keep taking it.) about 1 month ago, after reading a whole lot of stuff including some good posts by rkwaki and others here on BF, I bought some whey protein and started having shakes in the morning for breakfast and after a ride. unflavored whey is ok in orange juice-- I drink simply orange with calcium-- but chocolate whey in fat free plus milk is preferred. I started out with stuff at the grocery store but now buy from a local supplement giant store. it should be $1-1.50 per serving; more is not worth it.

we also take CoQ10 and a 24-hr allergy daily, rotating every few months between generic zyrtec and allegra.

out of all that stuff, the protein has made the only difference I can really feel. I feel better the day after a hard ride, and I am losing weight. I am not fat, but I'm not ripped either. I'll add more calories into my diet when I've lost enough weight. It would be easy to do through a variety of ways, including higher calorie whey mixes. (I've seen weight gainer protein mixes in the 600-800 cal range. )