View Single Post
Old 05-31-12, 09:29 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
In the past, I've used MapMyRide and more recently RideWithGPS. Both work well. I've had to figure out a few tricks to get my intended route to go on the streets that I want, (such as putting in additional control points). It works fine for me. Most recently, I've started using the Garmin Connect web site to create routes. That one will force you to use only bicycle "ready" streets, (such as never allow you to ride on a freeway). Only problem with that is there are some places that do allow freeway access because there are no paved roads between point "A" and point "B" other than the freeway. In that case, bicycle traffic are allowed on the freeway, but Garmin Connect won't allow that. You can trick the RideWithGPS site by specifying "Optimize path for: Driving".

Even though I have a GPS cycling computer, I take an intended route from MapMyRIde and maximize it on my computer screen. Then I'll size the route to its largest size and grab a screen capture. After clean-up, I'll print it out on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, fold it up and put it in a zip lock bag that goes into my jersey pocked. In case some car hits me and decides to leave the scene, whoever finds me will know from where I came and to where I was headed. If I get lost, I may take it out and refer to it, but a pre-printed cue sheet that I scotch tape to my top tube and the GPS route guidance features are usually good enough.

The cue sheet I print up is just a very small sheet showing the name of a street of where I need to turn, the direction of the turn, and the cumulative mileage at that turn. That way, it can be small enough to be wrapped around the top tube and still be easily visible while riding. When I ride, I like to have a mileage goal, so like planning my routes ahead of time. It is rare that I go out without some pre-determined destination or mileage goal.