Old 05-31-12, 01:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
One reason I held off on getting an iPhone last fall after all my gnashing of teeth and wailing in my decision making is the problem we have had in our rural area is that people with Garmins and Tom-toms had problems with maps showing roads where none existed or that were actually private drives and easements that you can't access or use. I guess with our really low population density there haven't been as much update work and additions as other areas. Home nurses coming here to do I.V. and wound dressings had to call and ask if the address was correct and how to find our home.

If this is still a problem I don't want to spend the money for a phone and data time if it won't work around our area since this where the majority of my riding gets done. I'll have to try out some apps with my wife's Blackberry smartphone and see if things are improving. Till then it is land nav and dead reckoning for me.

Bill
That is one of the advantages of the new smart phones. The Iphone has a map function that will locate you and show you the route to where you want to be. It had a google earth function that allows you to get a birds eye, SAT, view of the area. I have used the function to discover if a road was dirt or paved.