Old 05-31-12, 01:57 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bkj
how can a bike be a fire hazard? Mine is made of steel which doesn't burn I don't think. The tires yes, but I'll be out of the building by then to avoid the toxic smoke from the carpet and the plastic that every computer and printer is made of.

This is all so ridiculous. "We can't let you because we'd have to let everyone..." OK, how many riders are there? What's the issue?
"One can't expect to bring a dirty or wet bike into a building." Where I work, I am given a certain level of trust. In exchange, I would use my judgment and if my bike is wet, leave the thing outside!! A company needs a manager to oversee this concept?

How about this - we get to the office and work. If you aren't contributing to making money for the company, then leave or get fired. If your "job" is to worry about how people get to work or how they store their transportation, then see the previous point.
I don't they're worried about the bike itself burning, they're worried about it being kept in a place that could get in the way of a panicked throng of people trying to escape in an emergency.

Workplaces have all sorts of rules from dress codes, to what sorts of pictures can be displayed, to whether or not you can bring a gun inside.

If you can argue that keeping your bike inside is necessary for you to do your job, then you have a good case. On the other hand, they might tell you that you need to find employment somewhere else. It is up to management.

Personally, if a visitor were to show up at my house on a bike and then proceed to wheel it into my house, I'd be wondering what the h@ll they thought they were doing. Now, since we have wooden floors I might offer. If we had carpeting, probably not.

I don't bring my own bikes into the house unless it's 15 below and I need to work on them. In that case they go straight down do the basement where I've laid out a tarp for them.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-31-12 at 02:01 PM.