View Single Post
Old 05-31-12, 09:30 PM
drmweaver2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some of you have said it so much better than I could word it.
Originally Posted by The Octopus
I don't really consider myself a "randonneur" when I think about my cycling.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Steamer
I enjoy the challenge ... I enjoy designing and riding my own routes, but I also enjoy riding routes others have designed. ...A formal brevet has me ride on a course not of my choosing, on a day not of my choosing, and a start time not of my choosing. So mainly I choose not to bother very often. ... I don't get a whole lot in return for the formality of doing a long ride as a brevet. ... we pick the day, time, route, etc. as we feel like it. We change the course on the fly - do whatever makes us happy.
... I don't get (is) a little yellow book with signatures in it, nor a pin, nor a medal. I don't get formal recognition from an organizing body like RUSA or the ACP. Those things don't really concern me. The pins and medals are cool, but not worth the other stuff in order to get them.
So close to my own feelings.

Originally Posted by k7baixo
I don't go fast but I go pretty darn far.
That's something that I did learn from the few formal brevets and non-solo permanents& populaires I've done, whether I DNS'd, DNF'd or finished. I am in debt to those I rode with, nice people all and free with info, advice and companionship, but I'm not wedded to the group rides the local randos seem to like so much more than I.

Originally Posted by downtube42
Randonneuring for me has been about discovering that what I thought were limits, actually were not. They were self-imposed. I've found that discovery to be
interesting to say the least.

And finally, like Lamabb, I like
Originally Posted by Lamabb
Doing something that makes 'normal' people think I'm crazy for doing
It's encouraged me to find a way to make things interesting to me via my self-challenges, somewhat uniquely so it seems. I don't know another fool who decided on the spur of the moment to see if he/she could ride significant distances for him/herself (whatever that might be) for 30 or 100 consecutive days without doing what others said was the necessary preparation for such things. I know that I questioned my own sanity just before leaving on each of the first 3 rides of each self-challenge I've done. I decided that being crazy was okay.