Old 06-04-12, 04:02 PM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
I thought it looked too good to be true!

Thanks for the info.
here's a post with the conversion I did: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14242296

Its a true threadless set up now, with a new headset and steerer shim (for the modern stem).

the headset (cane creek 100 classic 1") is nice because its like the Chris king's where you can swap out the top part(s) and use a threaded or threadless system. All you have to do is call cane creek to buy the extra parts.

the cane creek 100 classic 1" can be found for $75 and the replacement parts for a threaded top assembly is less than $40 from cane creek. plus cane creek uses the sealed bearings and compression centering ring even in the 1" headsets. so it comes out a lot cheaper with some advantages over the Chris King set ups (+ threaded converter kit).

I did the threadless conversion for two reasons...

1. because I was extremely curious if it would work, and also I found a ritchey double crown fork from a 62cm bridgestone RB-1 that was in really rough shape (rust spots galore). I had it powder blasted and re-powder coated after measuring to see if there was enough steerer to handle a new threadless conversion.

2. this way I always have an extra fork - just in case i ever have a "fork's bent" situation. I can just easily swap out the top part of the headset to the threaded version and use my old fork with a threadless adaptor - or go totally retro with a quill stem ect ect.