View Single Post
Old 06-04-12, 08:55 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
+1
I still think a Cat 5 could really use a coach on his team to help him move up to Cat 4. You don't need all this Cat1/2 talent stuff to hugely benefit. I also still think a team coach can readily help the whole gang better than they'd be if they bought new wheels or even Powermeters (but that's just me). Or, if I'm way OTB on the meters, then an experienced person could quickly help newbies get best results from their gear. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem like racing has changed ALL that much. And I bet a coach like that wouldn't have to cost the team very much -- about like a new tire or two for each rider. I'm not talking personal gurus -- just help. Not riding with all the time or going to all races. Just being there some and helping. It's not rocket science and it doesn't have to be super high level stuff. Beginners need basic help -- beyond what is in books ... or, I bet, even online. The helper DOES have to be there in person some -- enough.

(Tiny story. Back when I raced I watched a new racer gal friend do a crit. She'd done a few. Her boyfriend was a current nat'l champ and top ski coach. She yo-yo'ed off the back until she got dropped at halfway point. I forget what I told her but afterward I asked if I could give her a tip. She was eager. I have a hunch I told her to brake less going into the turns, to slide up thru the group some entering the turn. Who knows. We went on a ride the next week. After that she finished with the bunch then started doing well. It was kinda weird that her boyfriend never seemed to have tried to help her. Maybe he figured it would be best coming from someone else, but he also didn't arrange to make that happen. I certainly wasn't a coach. But beginners probably can be very readily helped to the next modest level by a helpful experienced person. For a team to spend a bit o' cash on such a person -- or even to beg help from someone who they know knows -- seems smarter to me than buying more aero wheels.)

(PS: What the heck does that one poster mean by "ya think?" and some remark about the number of my posts? I've been into sport cycling for decades and have posted now and then here and elsewhere since the Interwebs began. About a buncha different outdoor sports that I enjoy. What does posting frequency and timing have to do with being a "shill"? Anyway, my posts say why I'm interested in the topic. If it's not clear or enough for anyone, whatever.)