Old 06-05-12, 12:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Which is what I believe the OP was doing, going the speed of the walkers. It was the second person on a bicycle that was going fast. Which brings us back to my question, given that the OP was going slow and the other person was going fast. Just what was the OP suppose to do to avoid a crash? Was he suppose to place himself in danger?
Good grief, it's been said several times: he simply uses the hand signal for slowing/stopping. Does nobody know or use this signal any more? Is it really a new concept to some riders? You slow down in bike traffic, you use the slow down/stop hand signal. Maybe we need to review the fact that you should signal your turns too?

Or are you assuming that the following cyclist is too much of a clueless idiot to respond properly to that signal? If so why is that assumption made? I make no such assumption. Just as when I use my brake lights on my car, I expect the following cars to slow down to avoid a crash. Don't you?

I have no idea why anyone would make this assumption. OP didn't. He simply stated that IF the trailing cyclist kept going at the fast rate of speed, it would cause a problem. Solution: USE THE FRIGGIN' HAND SIGNAL TO TELL HIM TO SLOW DOWN.

This really is not an uncertain or difficult situation. I have no idea why an experienced cyclist would even be uncertain or have to ask how to deal with it or label this situation as the subject line does.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-05-12 at 12:36 PM.