View Single Post
Old 06-06-12, 09:48 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made it out twice recently. First was 42 miles with my usual group on Saturday. The morning started out VERY nice, but got very hot very rapidly, and we were pushing the upper edge of our "stated" group pace. Result was, by mile 40 I was lightheaded, breathing shallow and fast, and had stopped sweating. Once I noticed the not-sweating thing, I slowed way down and fell off the back, dumped a half a water bottle down the back of my jersey, and sort of loafed the last couple of miles. Felt better by the time I got back to the car. First time I've ever overheated like that. It was weird.

Yesterday I got to the usual Tuesday Vet school ride a bit late, and figured either I'd have to chase 'em down, or nobody showed 'cause of the looming rain. Anyhow, everything was fine even through the rain (not too heavy) across Payne's Prarie. It was still fine when I flatted (so much for kevlar tires!). It was even fine when I patched the puncture. It stopped being fine when my old faithful Blackburn mini pump failed while reinflating the tire, leaving me 7 miles from the car in the rain on a mostly-flat rear tire. Sure this wasn't Monday instead of Tuesday? After about a quarter mile convinced me there was just NO riding it home no matter HOW slowly I went, I started walking back across the Prarie. God provides, though, and a good Samaritan in a pickemup truck pickemup'ed me and carted me back to my car.

Next ride is with the club on Saturday, through Cross Creek. Gotta remember to buy some more tubes between now and then!