View Single Post
Old 06-06-12, 05:39 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
A Campagnolo Zona rear wheel was running a bit rough.
So, I decided to take it apart and repack it.

Seemed straight forward enough. until the freewheel bit came out and the spring loaded paws popped out....
For your hub vintage Campagnolo provided a metal clip which holds the pawls in place when reassembling the hub. 9 speed+ freehubs came with a plastic piece which is less necessary because they use a different spring arrangement which traps the pawls.

is the splined bit (freewheel? I don't know the names for the bits) just held in position by the cones and lock nuts?
As reptilezs noted your freehub isn't all the way on. Wiggle the freehub (rotation in the freewheeling direction will help depress the pawls as they start to seat), poke at the pawls so they clear the ratchet ring inside the hub, and you should be able to get it on without using one of the Campagnolo tools.

The non-drive side seats against a shoulder on the axle. The drive side is held in place by a lock washer, one or two flat washers (the parts diagrams show two; the two 1996 hubs I own came with one but needed a second added when I installed 9 speed freehub bodies for the chain to clear my drive side dropout in the small cog), and the nut with the set screw. Once you get the freehub seated tighten the nut down until it stops turning (don't kill it), tighten the set screw, and you should be in fine shape.

(no comments on the mess. Zinn said to flow lube in until the paws quieted down. Maybe I overdid it.)
It's the seating problem as noted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hub.jpg (83.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-06-12 at 05:47 PM.