Old 06-07-12, 03:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Average cyclists-and motorist-DON'T USE OR KNOW FORMAL HAND SIGNALS!
I'm old-61- I vaguely remember car stop/slow hand signal- left hand out window pointing down-about 30 degrees or so relative to perpendicular(I think- haven't used them in 45 years). Don't know what bike signals are-perhaps the same??- but since I don't know it-and 95% of cars bikes don't- pointless to use it.

I do know how to yell- SLOWING DOWN
I take some of that back-I do use the "turning left signal"-pointing left- when I'm turing left-so I guess I do use one signal-always very carefully-some car mirror might take my arm off
Yeah hand signals are dead-can't say I have every seen anyone-other than my own left turn-use them-not in 45 years.
Charlie
Interesting - people around here use the common left and right turn hand signals all the time (most use a straight right arm for right turn rather than the older, left arm bent at right angle upwards.).

As for the slow/stop signal, every local group ride I ride in, formal or informal (mostly informal), the slowing signal is very common. Even if it isn't, it's certainly universally understood:

Lower hand with straight arm (either right or left) to about 1/3 - 1/2 above straight down. Direct palm rearwards. If you want to emphasize it, gesture with that downward hand moving it forward and backward vigorously. I don't know of anyone who would misunderstand that signal, even if they've never seen it before - same reason the straight right arm is the better signal for a right hand turn - who can misunderstand you're pointing to the right?

Last edited by Camilo; 06-08-12 at 06:23 PM.