Old 06-08-12, 06:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
...On the signals-I can't remember seeing anyone use them-
Not on the multiuse lane on the Mississippi river levee that I ride everyday- or the streets I ride to get to the levee.
I signal for my left turn on the streets- but that is it.
The fast guys on the levee will YELL LEFT- usually 1 second before they pass-walkers or riders- but I've never seen then signal.
Of course they are frequently in a line-going 20+mph-so not likely someone is going to pass them.
I must admit-when I pass walkers-I yell"passing slowly on your left" maybe 3 seconds before pass- but I don't signal left turn-just look back-to bike riderts who might be overtaking me. I do get into the left lane early-waaaay early.
Oh, I wsn't saying I see people (or do so myself) using "turn" signals to pass on an MUP - just when making actual turns.

Don't get me started on the methods of yelling out when passing bikes or pedestrians. I get so tired of shouting - and half the time I can't be heard, usually because of traffic noise on adjoining streets or highways, sometimes because of headphones. I just get tired of yelling, and will only do so if I can't actually get by. I will slow to pedestrian friendly speed whenever necessary though, rather than yelling.