Old 06-08-12, 07:31 PM
touring123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please advise on this 1930's track bike

Hi All,

I am a longtime lurker (first time poster) and I am working on cleaning and assembling a friend's 1930's track bike. It is a beautiful bike, but I have never worked on anything so old. The pictures say more than anything, but here is what we know: The bike was purchased in the 1930's, by my friend's father, from an Italian's bike shop in a New York City. I suspect that he made the frame.

My questions:

• Any idea about manufacturer? There are no serial numbers on the bottom bracket, so I suspect that this is a shop–made bike.

• Who made the lugs? Do they help to date the bike? They look remarkably similar to those here. Note: The oil cap on the bottom bracket reads: Abingdon Works LTD. No other marks on the lugs.

• Are the rims original? The hubs (stamped "Brampton England") are surely original, though I am not certain about rims. They read "Schwin Tubular S-6" and they appear to be drilled for a schrader valve. From good ol' Sheldon Brown's site, I can see that the S-6 is in fact an old school English size used through the 1950's.

• *** What specific tires do you recommend? I want to get a nice, racy road tire that is as perfect as possible for the rims, better than something "close enough".

•*Do the BSA cranks help to date the bike?

•*The bolt for the seat post is bent and will not fix well to the bike; it may be beyond repair. How would you go about finding a vintage-appropriate replacement?

Many thanks in advance. Your help will put this family heirloom back on the road!

– Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0273.jpg (91.1 KB, 164 views)
IMG_0274.jpg (97.2 KB, 128 views)
IMG_0275.jpg (99.9 KB, 113 views)
IMG_0277.jpg (69.6 KB, 111 views)
IMG_0282.jpg (90.2 KB, 101 views)