Old 06-08-12, 09:38 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by touring123
Ahhhh, that rings a bell. There was a time I knew the distinction between tubular rims and wheels -- thank you so much for the clarification. Now with that decided, any preferences for tires?

That's a burly bike. I read somewhere that BSA equipped the British military with folding bikes in WW2.
Yes, and guns. There is a photo somewhere in these forums of one of those bikes.

I would ditch the rims, the tires are very unusual and the ones now around are cheap. If that bike will take 700c modern rims, laced to the old hubs would make life a lot better. I have no idea if they will fit. If you have a tough time working out the sizes, borrow a 700c tire or a front wheel from a friend and just see if they fit. The modern hubs may be too wide to fit the frame, but that does not matter just to check the size of the rim.

If the rims now on the bike are marked well enough you can search on line for tires. Sheldon Brown's pages have a link to Harris Cyclery in Boston. A phone call might help. Don't ask for Sheldon he passed a while back.

The only tires I searched for like that were the 24" ones for the trike. I ended up with wheelchair tires.
Your wheels are bigger diameter, you may find tires easier than I did.