View Single Post
Old 06-09-12, 12:50 PM
touring123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to everyone -- you guys are awesome! I know family stories can be distorted, but my friend is very confident that his Dad bought this in sometime in the early/mid 30's. As a kid, he remembers his Dad putting him in an attached wooden cart and biking from New York City all the way down to Atlantic City!

@Munny: As for an explanation of the pump and newer rims: by the 1950's and through the 60's, this was being used exclusively as a road bike. The saddle is a Brooks.

@kroozer: the clip headset stood out to me, too. The stem is drilled for a through-bolt, too, but there is none there. Did people use one or the other back then? (BTW the stem is marked A. Brambilla Milano.)

@ pakman:
At some later date this was changed to the Schwinn tubular marking. This bike could have been originaly made for on S-6
So do you have an idea about what vintage these "Schwin Tubular s-6" rims are? Though replacements, I think there is some family heritage in them nevertheless.

@puchfinnland: I'm not sure if rebuilding the wheels is quite in the cards, but I agree that wood tubulars would look awesome.

Any ID on the the lugs? The tubing looks and feels to me like Reynolds 351, which Wikipedia says was introduced in 1935, but I don't know what else was being used then.

We'll get this thing road-worthy and preserved correctly for the future.