Old 06-11-12, 09:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 2,079 Posts
2 vintage pro racing bikes, which one to keep, which one to sell

I own two vintage racing bikes from roughly the same era; both are custom bikes but neither was built for me. One is a 56 cm (C-T) Davidson with a Super Record group built in 1979. I bought it 2d hand from the original owner in 2002 for $200 with a 2d set of wheels built up on NR high flange hubs. I have the original sales receipt from Baker's Bikes in Seattle; it went for the princely sum of $1400 in 1979. The other is a 56 cm (C-T) Roe racing bike probably built in the early 80s. Phil Roe had worked for Falcon and built bikes for a short time in the early to mid 80s in Hull, England. This bike showed up in New Orleans in the bike shop where I worked and I paid $300 for the bike with a Superbe group. I raced and commuted to school on the bike and when I got a bit of extra money I had it repainted cuz it badly needed painting and no one cared about original paint jobs in the 80s. I also rebuilt the bike at that point with a NR group which had seen almost no mileage since I bought a new racing bike around the same time.

So the question is which one should i sell and which one should I keep. I have 20 plus bikes and it is time to pare down the fleet a bit. I imagine that the Davidson is worth more money since it has the original paint job and I have all the records of the sale. The Roe is in better shape (both frame and parts) cosmetically speaking but either would be easy to bring up to snuff. Both have nice fork tab reinforcements and cut outs on the lugs. How much is the Davidson worth? How much is the Roe worth? Does it make sense to sell the parts separately from the frame? Here are some pics of the 2 bikes:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Roe.jpg (75.7 KB, 38 views)
ForkTabs.jpg (44.8 KB, 22 views)
CableGuides.jpg (70.5 KB, 19 views)
BottomBracket.jpg (64.3 KB, 19 views)
RearDropouts.jpg (63.7 KB, 19 views)