View Single Post
Old 06-12-12, 11:14 PM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anxiety/panic attacks suck and it's terribly debilitating depending on the severity. Lexapro did nothing for me. Xanax was nice and so was klonopin but I haven't been on them for several years. I was scared of being addicted or building a tolerance so I quit taking meds. I really should go back and get something.

Riding a bike can set off an anxiety attack and I fight through the emotions of all the things that could go wrong every time I get on a bike. While I've enjoyed mountain biking, the fears of it ruin the fun. Every hill or turn is agony in what could happen. Sometimes even going outside can be difficult and being trapped in your own house is embarrassing. Even though nothing is really wrong, you always feel like something bad is going to happen. I get scared to work on my bike because of the anxiety of doing something wrong. I feel so silly and stupid at times.

SSRI's make me rapid-cycle as I'm bipolar so at this point I'm on depakote and lamictal for seizures.

What helps is having plans for what sets you off. I take someone who is braver than me on the mountain bike trail to warn me of what's ahead. My husband is wonderful at understanding (but he as anxiety and depression so he gets it) and I can work through the fears as we talk. I help him get through the rough patches as well.

With finances, it's even harder to bounce back. All you see are dollar signs falling all around you. My husband's income dropped and it's been a struggle to get it all worked out. We came up with a plan and have stuck to it. It's been hard adjusting, but we are doing it. It's about priorities. The anxiety eases with some workable plan even if takes a few kinks or two to get it running right.

Those of us with anxiety or any mental disorders are the hidden ones that everyone forgets or no one understands. We are invisible in a room full of people. We fake it until we make it, and if we don't make it, we fake that too.

If you need professional help, don't be afraid to get it. If the doc you have is crazier than you, get a new one. It takes time for meds to kick in and some work better than others. I think Wellbutrin is another anti-anxiety drug if you haven't tried that.