Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
To be honest, I don't think we're too far off on target miles. 1000kms in a month is a good target month for me.

The thing is, the OP may be well below the 1000 km/month distance. Remember, he's from Edmonton. Their snow has only just melted about a month ago. Between November and April, he may have been doing only short fast rides. The fact that he's fast would would indicate to me that he has just focused on his speed work ... perhaps he was in a spinning class over the winter, or doing interval training on his trainer. There's nothing wrong with his speed ... he can comfortably do an 8-hour 200K.

But now, if he wants to continue with randonneuring, he needs to focus on getting in some distance work at a steady (but not too slow) pace to build his mental capacity to stay on the bicycle and keep cycling.

Since he is having trouble completing a 300K, I'd recommend that he go out and ride a nice, relaxed double century (323 km). Choose a route that takes in some scenery. Stop for lunch at the 100 km point. Stop for dinner at the 200 km point. Stop to take photos.

No, I'm not recommending that he do ALL his rides like that, but at least one a month should be like that until pacing himself, and paying attention to nutrition and hydration becomes more natural.

Last edited by Machka; 06-14-12 at 12:10 AM.