View Single Post
Old 06-14-12, 02:53 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
I think the crux of the bisquit is right here. I agree that he needs to fix the part between the ears but I don't believe in the "LSP" theory. I think that's a recipe for going slow.

To be honest, I'm not sure that everyone has the right mentality to ride long distances. I am sure that everyone (of reasonable fitness) is capable of riding long distances. Can you "train your mentality"? Good question! I don't know the answer to that.
I think you can train your mentality, bit it does need time in the saddle, and a fair degree of motivation (and that usually means a goal of some sort, such as building up to a 1000, 1200 or 1500.

I don't really want to go round in circles on this, but I think a good base is needed before the speed work starts. And that strikes me as being part of the issue with groovestew -- that he is trying to take a highly competitive short-distance attitude into randonnees.

Every endurance athlete and their coach knows this -- do the long steady distance work (running, swimming, riding, whatever) in pre-season, to give you the stamina to last the distance during the season.

Then the speed work (intervals and so on) cuts in.

For mine, part of the distance work is to enable the rider to get used to the mental aspects of spending long periods in the saddle. It also enables a rider to get those routines that count -- eating, drinking, peeing and so on -- down pat.

But yes, speed needs speed work.