Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
As far as training goes, this year was bad for me. I broke my wrist back in September (collision with a car while riding my bike to work), and I didn't ride for three months after that (didn't do any exercise at all, in fact). I then started riding a stationary bike a couple times a week through the winter, and in mid-March, finally started doing some outdoor rides. In past years, most of my "training" has been my commute to work (10 miles each way), but between starting to work from home a couple days per week, and a bunch of other lame excuses, I haven't been doing much of that this year either. I also have a toddler, and a wife who has her own hobbies and needs time away from the kid to pursue them, and it becomes a balancing act trying to schedule in riding time. I'm not a 1000 km/month rider. I make the most of my commutes, and on days I work from home, I ride at least 20 km before work, so it's something.
If you can, try to get out for a 100 km ride this weekend ... a 100 km at a pace where you can eat while riding. And focus on the eating.

One of the reasons you are feeling sick when you try to eat is because you're riding too fast. Another reason is because you aren't eating early enough. So on your 100 km this weekend, start eating no later than 1 hour into the ride.

I used to have eating difficulties and one of the things I did to solve the problem was to get a bento bag, and nibble. I start nibbling really early in the ride ... just a bite, then another 10 or 15 minutes later, then another 10 or 15 minutes later, etc. My stomach can digest that much better than waiting till I'm not feeling well and trying to down a lot of food to make up for it.