Thread: Clicking Chain
View Single Post
Old 06-15-12, 07:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmvengy
Great, thanks. Also if I'm trying to identify the pin that I pushed out before (to replace it with a powerlink) is there anything I should be looking for? Specific damage?
It can be very hard to find, but you're more likely to find it on the side that you pushed the pin to. That's because the side that you pushed through the chain will have the peened lip of the rivet sheered off. Look for a pin that has a bit of a recessed ring around it or who's outer rim looks a bit different.

Note it's a very tiny difference, so if you don't know for sure, leave bad enough alone, but check the chain often running it through your fingers while gently pinching and feeling for a link that seems a bit wider. With luck you'll feel the plate starting to spread before it's gone far enough to fall off and can cut it out and replace with a connector.

I had a friend who was a very aggressive mtn biker who'd break chains regularly. I suggested he take an old credit card and cut a square notch into it that the chain could just pass through. When he runs the chain through the notch spread links snag and rip the card from his hand. Since "carding" his chain regularly, he's found lots of damaged links, but never actually broken a chain riding.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.