View Single Post
Old 06-15-12, 11:39 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found on craigslist

i found a post about bike lanes on craigslist for the area i live in, and i thaught i would share it.

I have one way of making compromise about bicycles mixing with cars on the road. I of course hold the opinion that its just a safe measure for bicycles to stay off major streets. When you combine bicycles and cars your just asking for trouble. Several nice bike paths exist today that can take you great distances and away from car traffic. It just seems lately bicycles are popping up on streets and highways and the speed compared to a car just isnt there. I witnessed riders going 3 and 4 wide in a lane which is against the law and dangerous, I observe many red lights ran, crossing over lanes, going into oncoming traffic etc. If bicycles want to remain on the road and if the city of des moines is gonna spend tax payer dollars making special lanes on major streets than I feel bicycles should be licensed like a car. Then you can share the road, if you do something wrong you can be cited, and with the license fees collected it may pay for a major portion of recrational trails that have had many thousands of dollars spent by the tax payers and of course not everyone rides a bike. Its not fair for those that dont and those that do and dont use the bike paths they instead take there chances on the road. I understand with ragbrai its a special event and precautions are taken when the bikes are on the road. But to the casual motorist they are a nuiscance. Ive eperianced em angry if you are following, angry if you pass, and just not a good mix in traffic.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/rnr/3078881957.html