Thread: 47.75 pounds.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-02, 06:33 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Bob should be a good choice no matter how much or how little you take.

well, for 4 days i think near 50lbs is a little near the high side but it depends on what kind of a trip and what kind a facilities you will be using and what you can buy along the way.

if you're camping with no factilities in an area where it may be hard to buy supplies so you will have to carry most of your food with you, i think it sounds about right...

i did a multi-week Pacific Coast trip with the BOB and had about 50-60lbs or so including water - tent, rain gear, change of clothes, lots of repair equipment, lots of food (we ate max 1 meal a day at restaurants and shopped maybe once or twice a week plus picked up fruits or whatever wheneve possible)...

if you're a strong cyclist, that trailer weight is not a huge deal -- i've also done 2-3 day tours in the Alps with that much weight where i had to also climb a few thousand feet vertical (did a trip w/ about 40lbs where i rode with the trailer with my mountaineering gear, then parked and locked the bike and did a summit on foot)

on a tour, less is usually better and you usually need way less than you think --- for my 8-day Transalp tour this summer i had 15lbs not including water, but we stayed overnight in mountain huts and bought all our meals...

for warm weather you can really get by on little... but in cooler weather you need good sleeping bag, rain gear, warm clothes, etc. - it becomes even more important to only take what's necessary.

Last edited by nathank; 11-26-02 at 06:46 AM.