View Single Post
Old 06-18-12, 06:44 AM
Dcmkx2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eich
That doesn't sound too healthy. As I understand it, spokes will only click where they cross if one of them has gone into compression, bowed and then clicked against the other spoke as it tightened up. Received wisdom has it that when spokes completely lose tension in their load cycle they are subject to early fatigue failure at the j.

I have wondered about the durability of Soul wheels for just this reason. The Prodigy hubs have a very wide flange spacing and while this is good for wheel bracing it creates a big tension discrepancy between the drive side and non-drive side spokes. Maximum tension on the drive side is constrained by the maximum that the rim can handle. Minimum tension on the non-drive side is then constrained by the minimum tension required to centre the rim so with light rims that cant support a lot of tension and a big tension discrepancy its very easy to find your NDS spoke have insufficient tension to avoid losing all tension at the bottom of their load cycle.

I have been waiting for reports of either rim failure from over tensioning or NDS spoke failure from under tensioning. If they are not failing I'd like to know how this difficulty has been avoided.

When I hear a noise I get impatient when trying to fix it. Turns out it wasn't the wheels. It was either the new skewers that I lubed, or I put new cleats on my shoes (old ones had 4000 miles). With carbon bikes I can't believe how sound is transmitted through the frame. I actually thought it was the bottom bracket and ordered tools to take it apart and check it. At least I got some new tools. I have had new skewers click and squeak before. Any thing on a bike can make noise, and for someone who is ocd like me, it can drive you nuts.

By the way...........I LOVE MY SOUL WHEELS AND HAVE NOT REGRETTED MY PURCHASE ONE BIT.........THANX SEAN.

Last edited by Dcmkx2000; 06-18-12 at 06:51 AM.