Old 06-18-12, 11:47 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Many of those roads have moderate traffic on them. I've ridden most of them, and would ride them again if needed, but they are not ideal. Unfortunately, for those routes, there are not many alternative roads that are quiet but still reasonably direct. For the stretch between St Jeoire and Cluses, there is a road on the other side of the valley that is very queit, the D306, which I highly recommend. Between Annemasse and St Jeoire, the D9 is a much nicer alternative to the main road - you can use the D1205 from Annemasse to get to the start of the D9. If you can do the ride on a Sunday, then you'll have less traffic, but also fewer services as some shops will be closed. Your route in and out of Annecy will be very busy, but it is hard to avoid that. I see that you're avoiding some of the sections of the main road between Annecy and Geneva, which is good because that is very busy - possibly the busiest of all those that you have marked.

The road between Geneva and Annemasse really sucks, but just grit your teeth and get it done and look forward to the nicer stuff instead. If there was a train that could take you out there and avoid the urban section then I'd use it and recommend it, but there really isn't a good option there either. Instead of riding Geneva to Annecy, you could take a train to Bellegarde and ride from Bellegarde to Annecy, those roads are generally quieter IIRC.