Old 06-20-12, 12:09 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
^thats outstanding MPGs.... I'm currently at 10k miles on my JSW TDi and have a tough time getting over 45MPG (unless I really just keep it at 65mph on the highway).

with the roof rack and thule carriers that hold the whole bike - i can get high 30's but I'm usually driving in heavy weekend/vacation traffic.

did you experience a jump in MPGs after a certain mileage (like after the 10k/20k mark) or did you always have that high of MPGs from the beginning?
We saw the mileage within 5k miles or so. Until then the Missus (yes, her, not me) was driving around like Mario Andretti. I rarely got into the car with the mpg at 30 or higher (the average, i.e. with the 2, not the trip with the 1).

The Golf I got just as race season ended and it got cold. I mainly drove it to/from work (3 miles each way) and it basically got 36-38 mpg. Now it's a bit better.

I read that the break in oil, meant to stay in for 10k miles (!!!!), helps seat the piston rings. The new break in oil is 6k or something. Anyway on the 2010 at least the seals get better until about 50-60k miles, i.e. compression tests will show higher pressure.

For us we haven't seen change in mileage though, at least not so that we notice. It's more condition based, like if it's windy or no traffic (worst case) or not windy or heavy traffic (best case).

Originally Posted by brandini
Key to good mpg, cruise control (on newer cars).
Cruise control is actually less efficient than a stop/go type power style of driving. The best mileage comes from a "punch and coast" type of driving, where you accelerate 100% then coast. If you think about it the worst mileage you can get is 0 mpg. The best is infinity (if you coast with the engine off). Hypermilers will accelerate then turn off the engine, repeat ad nauseum. For me I used to do a lot of high gear throttle (accelerating about 5 mph from say 70 or so), coast in neutral to slow 5 mph, repeat. Doing this I could get 30-35+ mpg on long trips in a 350Z (rated 21/26), with 30-33 mpg being the norm.

You can try this if you have a manual and a trip mileage computer thing in the car. It's amazing how much better mileage you get when you do a punch/coast type drive.

I don't do it much now because it's kind of a pain. Also I thought about how much a thrust bearing costs for a clutch (or the labor to install one anyway). I'll do this if I'm driving solo and not in a rush.

I tried engine off coasting once and decided it's too risky for me. I want all the controls and such to respond as I expect if there's an emergency.