View Single Post
Old 06-21-12, 03:06 PM
GlowBoy
GN BIKN

Bikes: 1990ish MTB converted to 'cross, custom Vulture 29"er, Swift 2-speed Automatix folder, Madsen cargo bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Hey, Glowboy- if I had known I was missing a milkshake, I`d have probably have headed up to Fields.
Yeah, sorry the shakes at Fields are world-class, and available in about 20 flavors. Burgers are excellent too. Which is great since it's the only place you can buy prepared food for 100 miles in any direction, with the possible exception of Denio.
I could have sworn there was a little store right in Denio (not talking about the soda fridge and cookies department in the restaurant at the junction), but I didn`t see any sign of one. Maybe there`s one in Fields that I was thinking of and just misplaced it in my mind?
I haven't been through Denio in quite a few years, but I thought I remembered the usual desert "station" there (combination store-bar-cafe-"town" hall-gas station). I'll look it up in my copy of the Oregon Desert Guide by Andy Kerr (highly recommended for the area, and has a chart indicating which services are available in every settlement in SE Oregon).

EDIT: looking at Google Street View, I don't see anything "in" Denio proper (to the extent that one can even be "in" Denio), but it looks like there is a store at Denio Junction, a few miles south where Fields-Denio road intersects with highway 140. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=denio,...28.44,,0,30.53

For grins, click on the street view link above, and move a few yards east to the T intersection, where I'm happy to see one of my favorite billboards is still there: "Winnemucca ... City of Paved Streets."

Last edited by GlowBoy; 06-21-12 at 03:14 PM.