Old 06-21-12, 03:50 PM
RobertHurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
That the operator of the BMW should have waited until it was safe for him to make his turn. Instead of being impatient and turning in front of a vehicle that had the right of way and and that being impatient, turning into the wrong lane. There is NOTHING that I could have done to have changed the outcome.

As I had come to a full, foot down on the pavement stop. I had nowhere to move to, to avoid being hit. Unless you are suggesting that I the operator of a vehicle that was legally stopped at a stop sign at a four-way stop should have done something to prevent the crash.

If so please explain what I could/should have done differently to have effected the outcome of this crash.
If I understand the type of collision you had, it is not terribly uncommon, and somewhat preventable.

I actually cover this in my book Art of [Urban] Cycling, in a chapter called "Corner Cutters." [p. 104-5 in the second edition.] And there is even a diagram of your collision, which I drew myself.

Goes a little something like this:

" ... Suddenly -- a screech of tires from your right side. A car turning left from the far side of the boulevard carves directly at you. This guy's spotted a minuscule gap in the oncoming traffic, and, rather than wait ten seconds, has chosen to risk the health of several motorists, including himself, to shoot the gap. His line is taking him directly toward the apex of the corner, across the wrong side of the street, directly at your front wheel. Unfortunately, he hasn't seen you at all, he's so focused on oncoming traffic."

" ... The corner-cutting phenomenon is a good reason to roll slowly toward intersections, to be patient, and to stay 5 feet or more back from the corner, just out of the cutter's favored path. That way the cyclist's well-being is not dependent on drivers who don't think twice about who or what might be waiting for them around the corner."

Practical application of a defensive, vigilant mindset. Lots more where that came from in my book if anyone's interested.