hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Exactly

On my bi-weekly commute south, I go on a major artery, that has a blind curve like the one in the pic. While the road in question, that I travel on is a four-lane road, that doesn't make the blind curve any better. I will go out to the white broken line that separates the passing lane, from the slow lane, in an additional effort to make myself more visible. If that isn't enough, I try to pedal even harder, for the distance of the curve.
I feel that you're overlooking one rather important thing here:

Good drivers will take the curve you refer to very alertly. They may not expect cyclists, but they'll know that just about anything may hide behind the curve: a deer, a drunk, a broken down car. Goes for good drivers both from behind and ahead. So, it's not the good drivers that are the problem. It's the bad drivers. They'll take that curve at high speed, not for one moment thinking that anything will get in the way of their car. Those from ahead might even overtake another car!

Now, do you really for one moment think that taking the lane in that curve will protect you from bad drivers? I don't. I'd hug that roadside like a maniac.

Last edited by hagen2456; 06-21-12 at 04:05 PM.